Networker

Re: [Networker] NSR 75SP3 : Stable for prod ?

2010-08-17 10:08:22
Subject: Re: [Networker] NSR 75SP3 : Stable for prod ?
From: "STANLEY R. HORWITZ" <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 10:04:22 -0400
Thierry,

I have been running 7.5SP3 on a 32-bit Red Hat Linux AS 4.5 server for nearly
two weeks. I was previously running 7.5SP2 on that server. I was hoping that a
long—standing problem with periodic hung savegroups would end. That hasn't
happened, but I am hopeful that upgrading the clients to 7.5SP3 will help with
that. That problem has gotten better though (fewer instances of hung savegrps).
This server does entirely file level backups on a mixture of Linux, HP-UX, AIX,
and Windows servers. No optional modules are in use. There is also nothing
fancy going on in terms of backup devices. This is a very vanilla setup with
one Qualstar tape library containing four LTO-3 tape drives, all of which are
connected to the server via fibre channel and no storage nodes, although I do
have a storage node license in the mix.

One problem, which I wrote about last week on this forum is that "savegrp -O"
does a segment fault at the end, with roughly 125 clients. An EMC technician
had me run "nsrck -L6" and "nsrim -X" yesterday and then change the parallelism
setting for my server's own client entry from 12 to 90. That did not resolve
the problem. I am awaiting further feedback from EMC on this case, which by the
way is 36150044.