Networker

Re: [Networker] Future of Networker

2010-08-16 14:38:39
Subject: Re: [Networker] Future of Networker
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 14:37:32 -0400
Kinnison wrote:
Now that EMC has been selling Avamar for a few years, it seems that Networker
has been more and more pushed into the background. Do you see any future for
this product? What features or improvements would you like to have added if you
think there is a future for Networker? For example, it makes sense that
revamping the nwrecover command would seem to apparent.

I'd like to see a number of basic product issues resolved. I think this is more important or just as important as adding new features:

BASICS:
1. Get rid of the old, outdated media database format (whatever that is) and convert it to using something more open standard, like XML? There really is no reason that the product should not fully support moving from one OS platform to another via a straight copy, followed by a possible conversion program, if necessary. The file indexes were converted sometime ago. The media database should have been too.

2. Better functionality through firewalls.

3. Allow group staging wherein I can specify that I want one group to start after another completes (possibly chaining a number of them together) without having to resort to writing sundry cron scripts to utilize 'savegrp' commands and or using savepnpc (pre or post processing)?

4. The ability to stop all running groups, and postpone any more auto-enabled ones from running, with *one* single super-zap button and then a 'resume' button that will then:

o start all the stopped ones in the order that they would have been run had they not been stopped.

o and then pick up with all the ones that were never stopped.

In other words, resume the state back to what it was and as if nothing was ever stopped. So, even though groups would not run at their original times, they would all still run, but would still respect the time proximity of one another as before.

There are any number of times wherein something unexpected happens, and you have to stop a bunch of groups, and you know it's going to take a while to fix it, so you then have to disable several others so they don't kick off while you're doing whatever you're doing. Trying to get everything synced and moving again in a smooth fashion is a real pain.
The whole idea is to make management easier. This would be a life saver!

ENHANCEMENTS:
5. Built in support for VTL? Maybe this already exists, though? I thought Avamar and Data domain's inclusion into NW included data-dup only?

6. Complete key management for encryption.

7. Perhaps support for alternate user specified backup algorithms, or other utilities, e.g. cpio, tar. Obviously, multi-plexing would not be supported, but there might be certain times when such a feature could be desirable for certain data streams to certain tape pools. So, rather than having to write our own scripts or routines for this, we could somehow use NetWorker to handle the filtering?

George

|This was sent by paul.gilles AT navteq DOT com via Backup Central.

George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210
- The preceding message is personal and does not reflect any official or unofficial position of the United States Department of Commerce -