Networker

[Networker] Evaluation license expires after a few days?

2010-08-05 10:50:21
Subject: [Networker] Evaluation license expires after a few days?
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 10:49:48 -0400
I am trying to disaster recover my NW server, so I can restore some old
client indexes. And so I was following the D/R Guide, and all was going
well. I did a mmrecov and "nsrck -L7 client", on my old bootstrap tape.
Then it turned out I needed a later bootstrap tape. So I tried the same
process, with a later bootstrap tape. And then the NW service wouldn't
start. So I just un-installed NW completely, and started the recover
process over again, using the same 2008-05 tape. And the service still
wouldn't start.

Putting back the original "res" folder (i.e., the res folder from the
original installation, before the "mmrecov") allows the NW service to
start, but now it tells me that the evaluation license has expired. Not
sure how it could have done that, since you get 30 days evaluation
license, right? .. and it's been less than a week, since I originally
started trying to recover my old server. (and, as I say, it had been
working - I did a "mmrecov" using a bootstrap from 2008-01, and it was all
working fine - I saw clients, was able to browse for files, etc. The only
thing wrong was - the data wasn't on the client drive, so I thought maybe
I needed to look at a later bootstrap).

Anyways, I guess I need a new grace period enabler? Do I need to ask
licensing for that? I don't know why it thinks the evaluation has expired,
nor why the service won't start at all, when using the "res" folder
recovered from the 2008-05 bootstrap. I see nothing in the logs at all.

I can try running the service in debug mode by

nsrd -D3 1>nsrd.debug 2>&1

perhaps that will tell me why it won't start.

Ideas? This is taking a whole lot longer than I had planned on, and I've
already had to delay it, due to other emergencies. :-)

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM