Networker

[Networker] Cloning savesets from clones?

2010-07-28 18:50:36
Subject: [Networker] Cloning savesets from clones?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 18:46:58 -0400
Just want to corroborate my experience here.

If I clone a save set that lives *only* on clone volumes, and I don't specify both the ssid and the cloneid together like:

nsrclone -b pool -S ssid/cloneid

but I instead specify only the ssid like:

nsrclone -b pool -S ssid

then NW will always request the volume with the oldest clone time, correct?

Caveat: I'm assuming that you don't mark that specific instance (ssid/cloneid) of the save set as 'suspect' or 'offsite' using nsrmm. In that case, it would select the next available one that is not marked like that, right?

I have some save sets that were originally written to file type devices, subsequently cloned to tape clone volumes and later staged to another tape clone volume so the data no longer lives on the file type device, leaving those save sets now solely on clone tapes. Also, I have a few save sets wherein the media database entries for the original save sets were removed, but not the clone entries. Seems that NW always requests the clone volume with the oldest clonetime.

--
George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210