Networker

Re: [Networker] Server consolidation and file indexes

2010-07-28 13:15:02
Subject: Re: [Networker] Server consolidation and file indexes
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 13:11:25 -0400
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
07/28/2010 12:18:46 PM:

> Will using "scanner -i" on the saveset to be recovered from the
> alternate datazone server produce the desired results?
>
> I'm specifically concerned with regards to backups that use one of the
> modules (ie. Oracle RMAN, Exchange, MSSQL, etc..) and require that the
> file indexes be intact.

"scanner -i" will work, *provided* you have a client defined that has the
same clientid as the client on tape that you want. I have done that a few
times - I have a separate NW server at one of my sites, and I was able to
scan tapes made on that NW server, back here on my NW server, once I had
created a client here with the same clientid as the client has on the
other server.

ClientIDs must match; client names do not.

Oh, and a fake entry in the hosts files - NW won't create the client
without one.

However, I have only ever recovered "regular" filesets, not modules (i.e.,
never tried for a MSSQL: recover) from a tape created on a foreign NW
server.