Networker

Re: [Networker] Advice needed about reading a "foreign" bootstrap

2010-07-28 09:14:19
Subject: Re: [Networker] Advice needed about reading a "foreign" bootstrap
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 09:12:42 -0400
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
07/28/2010 12:10:56 AM:

> Taking a step back to look at the bigger picture, just what are you
> trying to recover?
>
> I understand you are trying to recover data that was backed up from
> ADMNCRY001.  fine.  What are you recovering.  An entire saveset?  or
> a subset of that saveset.    e.g.) c:\ drive...   or c:\Program
Files\apps1?

Not the entire saveset; I am told that there is a directory of saved
point-in-time reports they need to see.

> Are you recovering from a full backup or non full backup?  How many
> files are you recovering?

Full Backup. No idea of the number of files; I'm guessing nothing
outrageous - maybe a couple hundred. I'm told the application saves "a
couple months" worth of daily reports on disk, so even at a couple files
per report, it shouldn't be too much.

> If you want to recover an entire saveset, or if you know the file or
> directory you wan to extract from the saveset, then a saveset
> recovery may be the preferred method for you to recover data,
> especially of you are recovering from a full backup.
>
> The client file index is really only needed if the you are not sure
> where the file is located.  The media database is the critical one
> because it catalogs what backups exists and where the saveset can be
found.

I will speak to the requestor. My boss got the actual request; at the
moment, all I know is that there are saved report files that I need to
recover, so they can examine them.

> Now as for the client file index, as mentioned, you cannot use nsrck
> -L7 if the server's client id had changed when the server was
> rebuilt.  And, also as mentioned, the nsrck -L7 finds the index
> backup in the media database, recovers it, and merges with the
> online index.  HOWEVER, the index backup can also be looked at as
> just another saveset backup, and therefore, you can perform a
> saveset recovery of the index itself.  For example:  if the index
> saaveset for index:ADMNCRY001  is 123456789, and it is a full
> backup, then you can use the following to recover it:

We don't save the index with the backup, however. That's why we do the
bootstrap (i.e., savegrp -O).

>   recover -a -S 123456789 -d /tmp/index

I've done this sort of recover before. But I don't know the SSID to use -
either of the saveset I want, or of the index.

> This won't merge the index backup with the online backup.  But, it
> will give you an index that you can use.  For example:
>
>   rename the current online backup

Not sure which file(s) you mean here.