Networker

[Networker] Advice needed about reading a "foreign" bootstrap

2010-07-28 00:13:34
Subject: [Networker] Advice needed about reading a "foreign" bootstrap
From: wallace88 <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 00:10:56 -0400
Taking a step back to look at the bigger picture, just what are you trying to
recover?

I understand you are trying to recover data that was backed up from ADMNCRY001.
 fine.  What are you recovering.  An entire saveset?  or a subset of that
saveset.    e.g.) c:\ drive...   or c:\Program Files\apps1?

Are you recovering from a full backup or non full backup?  How many files are
you recovering?

If you want to recover an entire saveset, or if you know the file or directory
you wan to extract from the saveset, then a saveset recovery may be the
preferred method for you to recover data, especially of you are recovering from
a full backup.

The client file index is really only needed if the you are not sure where the
file is located.  The media database is the critical one because it catalogs
what backups exists and where the saveset can be found.

Now as for the client file index, as mentioned, you cannot use nsrck -L7 if the
server's client id had changed when the server was rebuilt.  And, also as
mentioned, the nsrck -L7 finds the index backup in the media database, recovers
it, and merges with the online index.  HOWEVER, the index backup can also be
looked at as just another saveset backup, and therefore, you can perform a
saveset recovery of the index itself.  For example:  if the index saaveset for
index:ADMNCRY001  is 123456789, and it is a full backup, then you can use the
following to recover it:

  recover -a -S 123456789 -d /tmp/index

This won't merge the index backup with the online backup.  But, it will give
you an index that you can use.  For example:

  rename the current online backup
  copy (not move) the recovered index into its place
  nsrck -L6 -v ADMNCRY001
  test if you can browse the index information
  recover data
  put the original online index back

Not sure if this will help you, but maybe it can give you some ideas, or give
you alternatives as to how to accomplish your goals.

good luck....