Networker

Re: [Networker] Advice needed about reading a "foreign" bootstrap

2010-07-27 10:38:27
Subject: Re: [Networker] Advice needed about reading a "foreign" bootstrap
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 10:36:31 -0400
> >  MJL:
> > Yes, I know. But the clientID of the current client "Old-
> ADMNCRY001" does match the clientID of the old client "ADMNCRY001".
> I created the current client "Old-ADMNCRY001" with the clientID of
> "ADMNCRY001" from 2 years ago. So the clientIDs do match.
>

> That will help when recovering the actual data.  However when you
> are trying to recover the client file index, the client id that was
> used to backup the client file index has to match the client id of
> the NetWorker Server, not client, if you want to use "nsrck -L7" to
> recover the client file index of the client.

AH. That's where I was mis-understanding, then.... ratz. :-( I have done
many "scanner -i" to rebuild the client index from an old tape, and even
tapes made from another NW server. Never did a "nsrck -L7" from a
bootstrap tape that was made by a different NW server, so that's why I was
confused ...

> When the client file index is backed up, the actual client that is
> saving this database is the NetWorker Server.  Therefore, the client
> file index backups are owned by the NetWorker Server, not the client
> whose data was backed up.  So the saveset that is created is
> recorded in the media database as owned by the NetWorker Server at
> that particular time.

ratz x2. :-)

> > My reply:
> >
> > Ratz. Sad Well, that stinks. You'd think that by recovering the
> bootstrap for that one client would populate the index db only for
> that one client.  So you're saying that even doing "nsrck -L7 -c
> client" for *one* client, overwrites my *entire* current index db??
> I'm not recovering the whole mm db with "mmrecov", nor importing the
> entire bootstrap with "nsrck -L7". So why would it replace the whole
> media and index db??
>

> Just to clarify, it is mmrecov that is used to recover the
> bootstrap.  The bootstrap contains the media database and the res
> database. It is the "nsrck -L7" is used to recover the client file
>
> When you recover the bootstrap, it will overwrite the media database
> with what you recovered from backups.  The res database is put in a
> res.R directory.

OK. Well, in my case, I am not trying to recover the bootstrap (not doing
"mmrecov"). I probably used the wrong terms. My apologies.

> The "nsrck -L7" does recover the client file index, and then merges
> what was recovered with what was from backups.
>
> You can specify "nsrcK -L7 client_name" if you just want to recover
> the index for one client.

Right. That's what I was hoping to do - just retrieve the client index for
my one client, so I can avoid doing a "scanner -i" on half a dozen tapes
(I thought it was 20, but it looks (from my printed lists at the time)
that there were 7 tapes in that end of month run). But from what you say
above, I can't do "nsrck -L7 client", because the index on tape is owned
by the old server, and not by the client I am looking for.

> > If I do all that, can I use NW 7.5.2 as the (temporary) server? I
> should get a 30 day grace period for activation ...
>

> If all you are using is a stand alone tape drive to read your tapes,

Correct. I use that tape drive now only for recovers of old tapes. Never
back up anything to that storage node, nor to that tape drive.

> > Only other way I can think of .. is to do "scanner -m" on all the
> tapes that client might be on (there are about 20, from the EOM run
> I need), then do a mminfo showing which volumes and which order I
> need for my one client, then do a "scanner -i" on those specific
> volumes, *then* do the recovery.
>

> I think the biggest issue is getting a catalog of what your tape
> volumes contains.  After recovering the bootstrap, you will have
> this, which is important cause this will then tell you everything
> regarding client name, client id, volume name, volume id, pool,
> backup date, saveset names, etc...

OK. I'll have a talk with my boss, and see what he wants to do. Using
"scanner -m" on a bunch of tapes takes longer, but might actually uses
less of my active time (I think) than removing a storage node; renaming
the server; install NW; do a D/R recovery. With the former, I just load
tapes as prompted, while doing other tasks at the same time; with the
latter, I have to concentrate on actively getting the new temp server
configured, and then re-configured back, all the while not doing other
tasks.

If it was only 2 or 3 tapes, I might just go the scanner method. When they
arrive on-site tomorrow, I will see if they have a label identifying which
clients are on which tape. I remember I used to do that sometimes ...