Networker

Re: [Networker] Advice needed about reading a "foreign" bootstrap tape

2010-07-26 16:18:37
Subject: Re: [Networker] Advice needed about reading a "foreign" bootstrap tape
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 16:15:07 -0400
>When you had to rebuild the server few years back how did you do it?
>Did you do a mmrecov?

I did not do an mmrecov.

>But you said the client had a different clientid this is telling me you
you
> did not do mmrecov.

Correct

> in your current production server do you see those tapes? if do a mminfo
> -avot -q "volume=tapelabel"

I see no entries for any savesets earlier than Aug 2008. And I need Dec
2007.

> currently there in no way of merging the MM database. If the media is
not
> in the MM database you can not do a recovery period.

Actually, the client is already in the mm database. It got in there when I
did "scanner -i" on some older tapes, when recovering for a different
older client( I got entries for a lot of old clients that way, all named
"~client-name-1", since there already was a "client-name"). So I created a
client with the same clientID as the client had on the old server, and now
it shows up as the "Old-client" name, instead of "~client-name-1".

>mminfo -avot -c Old-admncry001 -r client,name,savetime(22),volume
 client    name                                date     time    volume
Old-ADMNCRY001 SYSTEM FILES:\              6/30/2007 12:49:32 AM 910053
Old-ADMNCRY001 SYSTEM STATE:\              6/30/2007 12:49:33 AM 910053
Old-ADMNCRY001 SYSTEM DB:\                 6/30/2007 12:50:05 AM 910053
Old-ADMNCRY001 ASR:\                       6/30/2007 12:51:23 AM 910053
Old-ADMNCRY001 D:\                         6/30/2007 12:51:28 AM 910053
Old-ADMNCRY001 C:\                         6/30/2007 12:51:41 AM 910053

And on the bootstrap tape I will get tomorrow, are entries for a client
with the same clientID as my current client "Old-ADMNCRY001" has.  So all
I am really doing is restoring the bootstrap for what NW thinks is a valid
client. Even if there were no entries in the mm database for
"Old-ADMNCRY001", it should just create them, since it will find entries
on the tape for a clientID that matches that client definition. That's
been my experience, anyway, as I have successfully done this same
procedure of creating clients with the old clientID previously, and then
used "scanner -i" to populate the index. It's just that this time, I won't
be using "scanner -i", but "nsrck L7 -c client".