Networker

Re: [Networker] Advice needed about reading a "foreign" bootstrap tape

2010-07-26 15:39:22
Subject: Re: [Networker] Advice needed about reading a "foreign" bootstrap tape
From: Venkat Tudi <venkat.tudi AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 15:37:28 -0400
When you had to rebuild the server few years back how did you do it?
Did you do a mmrecov?
If yes this would have bought back the mm database, client def from the res.
Then if you you would have done nsrck -L7 -c client <time>
this would have rebild the indexes.

But you said the client had a different clientid this is telling me you you
did not do mmrecov.

in your current production server do you see those tapes? if do a mminfo
-avot -q "volume=tapelabel"

if you see the ssid from the date you want to recover the client then
identify where the client indexes are
usuall they are on backupserver

mminfo -avot -q "client=bacupserver, name=index:clientname"

you should a client index from that date and it will only work if it is a
full client index backup.
 currently there in no way of merging the MM database. If the media is not
in the MM database you can not do a recovery period.

-Venkat
On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 3:11 PM, Michael Leone
<Michael.Leone AT pha.phila DOT gov>wrote:

> From:   Venkat Tudi <venkat.tudi AT GMAIL DOT COM>
> To:     NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
> Date:   07/26/2010 02:34 PM
> Subject:        Re: [Networker] Advice needed about reading a "foreign"
> bootstrap tape
> Sent by:        EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT
> EDU>
>

> Michael,
> I will not work. Here is why.
>
> <SNIP>
>

> Scanner -im
> since these are foreign Tape to NW server. Does the order matter? I am not
> Sure with the New versions I have not done this with random Tapes. But in
> older version of NW the order of the tapes really matters.
>

> My reply: Yes, the order of scanning is (usually) important - if the
> savesets span multiple tapes. But I am *not* running scanner here, am I? I
> want to run nsrck -L7 to restore the bootstrap (i.e., index values) for a
> specific client. Isn't that different from "scanner -i"? I don't know
> which of 20 tapes has the info I want, and I'm not about to run "scanner"
> on all of them, to find which volume I need, if I have the index available
> as a bootstrap. Isn't that what the bootstrap is for - avoiding using
> "scanner -i"?
>

> 3. nsrck -L7 -c OldClient

> type
> this