Networker

Re: [Networker] Advice needed about reading a "foreign" bootstrap tape

2010-07-26 15:15:01
Subject: Re: [Networker] Advice needed about reading a "foreign" bootstrap tape
From: Michael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 15:11:26 -0400
From:   Venkat Tudi <venkat.tudi AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To:     NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date:   07/26/2010 02:34 PM
Subject:        Re: [Networker] Advice needed about reading a "foreign"
bootstrap tape
Sent by:        EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>

Michael,
I will not work. Here is why.

<SNIP>

Scanner -im
since these are foreign Tape to NW server. Does the order matter? I am not
Sure with the New versions I have not done this with random Tapes. But in
older version of NW the order of the tapes really matters.

My reply: Yes, the order of scanning is (usually) important - if the
savesets span multiple tapes. But I am *not* running scanner here, am I? I
want to run nsrck -L7 to restore the bootstrap (i.e., index values) for a
specific client. Isn't that different from "scanner -i"? I don't know
which of 20 tapes has the info I want, and I'm not about to run "scanner"
on all of them, to find which volume I need, if I have the index available
as a bootstrap. Isn't that what the bootstrap is for - avoiding using
"scanner -i"?

3. nsrck -L7 -c OldClient