Networker

Re: [Networker] Cleaning out /nsr/tmp ???

2010-07-24 02:39:41
Subject: Re: [Networker] Cleaning out /nsr/tmp ???
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 16:35:51 +1000
On 24/07/2010, at 12:06 , wallace88 wrote:

> My personal peeve is hearing people say that deleting /nsr/tmp is the
> solution when backups or jukebox is hung...  that NetWorker will work ok if
> you just clear tmp regularly.  If you think about it, how do you know that
> deleting tmp solve the issue, and not restarting the NetWorker application?
> Isn't this similar to the windows solution of rebooting Windows will fix
> everything?

It's easy to come to this conclusion in situations where multiple restarts of
the NetWorker services do nothing, yet a stop, clear-out of /nsr/tmp and a
restart of NetWorker does achieve the intended goal.

While it's certainly true that in some instances a simple restart might be
sufficient to clear issues, it's also the case that there are various state
files in /nsr/tmp which you will sometimes find yourself needing to erase in
order to restore functionality after particularly unpleasant hardware issues.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise