Networker

[Networker] NetWorker update

2010-07-21 23:24:37
Subject: [Networker] NetWorker update
From: wallace88 <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 23:20:31 -0400
> I'm planning a NetWorker update from 7.5.1 to either 7.5.2 or the new 7.5.3.

If you are staying with a 7.5.x upgrade, then i suggest you go from 7.5.1
straight to 7.5.3.  Remember to upgrade any storage nodes to the same version.

> The part of the update that takes the most time is running nsrck -L6. It
> takes 9 hours on our 90GB index folder. That's a very long down time for our
> environment, if we're required to let the NetWorker system be completely idle
> during the nsrck -L6.

Though you can stop the nsrck -L 1-6 at anytime, I personally would not be
doing this if any backups run that will update the indexes.  If there are
backups updating the index, then I would be selective and only check the client
indexes for the clients that are not being backed up at the time.

So you can either check all of the indexes by just using:
nsrck -L6
or you can be selective with:
nsrck -L6 client1 client2 client3 etc...

> Is there a workaround so the update does not need such a long downtime? is it
> ok to run the nsrck -L6 after the update? or is it ok the have some backup /
> restores done durint the nsrck -L6 ?

The nsrck -L6 is usually run before an upgrade, so that the index database is
as clean as possible, in case the new version either converts or modifies the
client file index database.

Remember that it is always a good idea to backup your bootstrap and index with
level=full before performing an upgrade.  Thereby, if anything went wrong, you
can always use that to revert back to your previous version.

The only short cut I might consider is to:
1) run nsrck check for the critical servers, including the backup server.
2) backup the bootstrap and only the client file index for the backup server
and those other critical servers.
3) tar-gzip the index directory so that you have an online backup copy of the
index.  So in case the index do get corrupted, you can extract them rather than
recovering it from backups.  (Don't do this for the media database)