Networker

[Networker] How to delete old backup on networker

2010-07-19 09:38:13
Subject: [Networker] How to delete old backup on networker
From: dmitri <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 09:33:52 -0400
>From reading the OP posts I feel very uneasy to suggest anything to him, it
>appears he has no familiarity with NetWorker whatsoever. Suggesting a command
>or two will not help, and can be dangerous when the commands applied without a
>hint of understanding what they do.  Please, open the Admin Guide and do some
>thorough reading first.  I have a feeling that the whole setup is wrong.  If
>all environment takes 350GB for a full backup and the AFTD has 3TB capacity -
>I see no problem in holding 2 days worth of data, as mentioned by the OP.  3
>TB should be good for at least a couple of week of retention.
RETENTION - duration of time your data is stored in your backup system.  The
longer the retention = the more data you will be storing = the bigger storage
device you need.
Assuming that you have 350GB total to backup, I'd set a weekly schedule with 1
full and 6 incremental backups, with 1 week retention, to be on a safe side.
After running for a couple of days I would estimate the amount of storage for
incremental backup, and space requirement for a weekly cycle (1 full + 6
incrementals).  With these numbers we have some basis for calculating the
retention period.  Keep in mind that if you set retention to be "N" weeks, it
actually becomes eligible for deletion after "N + 1" weeks, because incremental
backups are based on last full plus incrementals coming after that full.

Good luck