Networker

Re: [Networker] Jukebox Madness

2010-07-09 14:57:46
Subject: Re: [Networker] Jukebox Madness
From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 13:54:55 -0500
> Ken Gehring
>
> Whenever the door for the load ports is opened and closed, the library
> inventories the load ports (as is should) but then Networker decides
> that that isn't good enough and scans all the slots in the library
> (adds about 20 minutes to depositing tapes).
> Has anyone seen this sort of behavior and were you able to fix it?

We're on 7.5.1/Solaris and we see this every time we open/close any of two
Sun L100s (Quantum M2500s), a stack-linked pair of Sun L25s or two
separate Quantum SuperLoader 3s (one is a Sun-branded C2). They don't take
as long as your library, but it's annoying nonetheless.

I'd love to turn this polling completely off, since I usually have to go
back and reinventory the jbs anyway, unless I just pulled tapes and left
empty slots. Any new tapes, from any alternate location (including null)
almost never get properly recognized and require a reinventory. Even nsrjb
-II doesn't always work out, but a regular nsrjb -I does.

If anyone knows how to disable hardware polling (assuming there are no
undesirable side effects), I'd also love to know.