Networker

Re: [Networker] Certified media - value or gimmick?

2010-06-30 10:39:07
Subject: Re: [Networker] Certified media - value or gimmick?
From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 09:36:45 -0500
> Macina, Conrad
>
> Maybe five years ago we asked our library vendor (Sun, or perhaps
> pre-Sun StorageTek) for tape recommendations. Naturally, they came back
> with, "Only our tapes are tested and recommended in our libraries." But
> their tapes were only rebranded from some other manufacturer and were
> more expensive than what we could get from our regular tape supplier. We
> tested the supplier's recommended tapes (I'm not sure what brand), and
> they worked fine. We've been using them without incident ever since.

FWIW, over the past 11 years or so we've used a variety of brands (Sony,
Quantum, etc.) without any noticable differences or trends. Seems like if
we're gonna have tape errors, we're gonna have them... if not, we don't.
:-)

No idea if this is true, but several years ago I was told that at least at
that point in time all the SDLT320 cartridges on the market were actually
made by one manufacturer (Maxell, maybe?) regardless of branding.

??