Networker

Re: [Networker] Certified media - value or gimmick?

2010-06-30 06:15:18
Subject: Re: [Networker] Certified media - value or gimmick?
From: "Macina, Conrad" <Conrad.Macina AT PFIZER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 06:14:09 -0400
Maybe five years ago we asked our library vendor (Sun, or perhaps
pre-Sun StorageTek) for tape recommendations. Naturally, they came back
with, "Only our tapes are tested and recommended in our libraries." But
their tapes were only rebranded from some other manufacturer and were
more expensive than what we could get from our regular tape supplier. We
tested the supplier's recommended tapes (I'm not sure what brand), and
they worked fine. We've been using them without incident ever since.

A year or two ago we considered re-opening the issue and going to tape
suppliers for bids, but it was deemed too time-consuming and the
potential payback too little to be worth the cycles.

On the one hand, we are using our supplier because "that's the way we've
always done it." On the other hand, the supplier has been responsive,
the prices are reasonable and most importantly, they will move heaven
and earth for us when we need a rush order.

Conrad Macina
Pfizer, Inc.