Networker

[Networker] Not in media index

2010-06-28 21:39:14
Subject: [Networker] Not in media index
From: wallace88 <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 21:37:24 -0400
> The problem is that after power failure in server room (backup server has
> unexpected shut down) I can't see any Volumes. If I open networker console >
> go to Media > Volumes > there is no any volumes, before I had a lot. I can't
> find any scanner options.  I also can't load tapes to tape drive - error "Not
> in media index".

Recovering the bootstrap is the safest option.  The media database has lost
information, especially volume information, and this is why you are getting
"Not in media index".

FYI Media scavenging procedure does not really do anything other than to
re-index the data on the database.  It will not correct data corruption or data
loss.

Hopefully you have some record of your bootstrap backups (via bootstrap
notifications).  Having this will speed things up because you can determine the
most recent bootstrap before the power outage, and also information such as the
save set id, position on tape (media file number, media record number), and
what volume it exists on.

If you don't have this, you can still go into the \nsr\logs directory and
search the daemon.raw; since it is in chronological order, you can figure out
the last bootstrap again and on what volume.  Then you can load the tape into
the drive and then use the scanner -v to determine the ssid, file number and
record numbers.  I suggest using something like:

  scanner -mv \\.\Tape0  > list.txt  2>&1

Then you can examine this output file to find the bootstrap you want to
recover, and then use mmrecov to recover the media database.

Good luck