Networker

Re: [Networker] Cleaning question

2010-06-24 13:03:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] Cleaning question
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 13:01:44 -0400
On 6/24/10 12:41 PM, George Sinclair wrote:
> I know there's been a lot of discussion over having NW clean versus
> having the tape library do the cleaning. I realize that not all
> methods work best for everyone, but I have a fundamental technical
> question:
>
> If you do have the tape library do the cleaning, will most tape
> libraries wait until the drive is empty?

I have a tape library that will only clean drives in physical mode, and
since I run it in logical mode, I would have to shut NW down to let the
library clean the tape drives -- it's a Qualstar XLS 8000 series, in
case you are wondering.

Therefore, I have configured the library to send me an email when a
drive needs to be cleaned and I go check the box in NMC to tell
NetWorker to clean the drive...

I have found since applying the hotfix for LGTsc29954 on my NW 7.4sp5.2
server that NW catches on and cleans the drive 95% of the time now when
the drive sends the alert that it needs cleaning.