Networker

[Networker] NetWorker vs. NetBackup or BackupExec

2010-06-24 12:46:51
Subject: [Networker] NetWorker vs. NetBackup or BackupExec
From: "Werth, Dave" <dave.werth AT GARMIN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 09:45:05 -0700
We are in the process of upgrading our backup system.  A vendor has suggested
we could save a lot of money by switching to NetBackup or BackupExec.  I've
been researching lately lot but since I have no direct experience with either
product I'd be interested in anything anyone on the list has to say about it.
Specifically if there are any advantages/disadvantages of one over the other
and compared to NetWorker.

Personally I don't see how we save money since we already have NetWorker
licensed but we will need to spend over 10K on a Disk Backup license in the
upgrade so it may be possible.

Our backup has 17 clients, 1 Solaris 7 and 16 Windows (from 2K to 2K8), one
Exchange Server and on SQL Server.  It amounts to about 2.5 TB per week (but
growing).

Thanks for any insight you can give me.

Dave Werth
Garmin AT, Inc.
Salem, Oregon

use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please be
aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or any
attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
contact the sender and delete all copies.

Thank you for your cooperation.