Networker

[Networker] Cleaning question

2010-06-24 12:43:06
Subject: [Networker] Cleaning question
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 12:41:20 -0400
I know there's been a lot of discussion over having NW clean versus having the tape library do the cleaning. I realize that not all methods work best for everyone, but I have a fundamental technical question:

If you do have the tape library do the cleaning, will most tape libraries wait until the drive is empty?

If they do, that makes sense to me. Otherwise, if instead, it simply waits until the drive is idle, and moves the loaded tape back to the slot first then NW would still think the data tape was in there, and it would get confused if the tape library didn't reload it when it was done cleaning, right? I mean, in that case, NW would be out of the loop, so that's bad.

But, if it instead waits until the drive is empty then that's kind of bad, too, because our drives usually always have a tape in them. Rarely is a drive ever empty except when NW is unloading a tape and preparing to load another volume. So, in that case, a drive that needs to be cleaned might sit for a long time waiting to be cleaned because the library can't move a cleaner into the drive since it's occupied, whereas if NW instead did the cleaning then it could. Alternatively, maybe the library would slip in just before NW could load the next volume, and then NW would wait (pending) until the cleaning was done? Not sure who would win in that case.

Thanks.

George

--
George Sinclair