Networker

Re: [Networker] kmr-bkupsvr's savegroup completion - Terry one last question before I leave, need some math help?

2010-06-15 13:06:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] kmr-bkupsvr's savegroup completion - Terry one last question before I leave, need some math help?
From: Terry Lemons <lemons_terry AT EMC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 13:04:17 -0400
Hi Mike

127 GB in 6 hours equals 127,000 MB in 21600 seconds, which is 5.9 MB/s.
Is your network backup line a 100 MB (megabyte) line or a 100 Mb
(megabit) line?  Network pipes are usually quoted in Mb (megabit).  So a
100 Mb line is 100 Mb / 8 bits per byte = 12.5 MB/s.  So if you have a
pipe capable of 12.5 MB/s, is only used by your backups, and your
backups run at 5.9 MB/s, then you know that the limiting factor isn't
your network pipe.

Use the NetWorker User Mailing List (networker AT listserv.temple DOT edu) for
these kinds of questions, because you'll get a lot of people looking at
it and offering ideas.

Hope this helps.
tl