Networker

[Networker] Can a LTO-4 drive really read a LTO-2 tape ??

2010-06-10 21:35:08
Subject: [Networker] Can a LTO-4 drive really read a LTO-2 tape ??
From: wallace88 <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 21:32:52 -0400
> Has anyone used an LTO-4 tape drive to read an LTO-2 tape ??

As already stated, it should be ok.  Just make sure that the environment is
able to read the tape record size...  aka. block size settings.

This is usually more an issue with Windows where you have to set the upper
limit on maximum block size.

I have seen where, for example, the the current maximum block size is smaller
that what was set when writing data on the old tapes.  In this case you will
have problems reading the data unless you increase the Window's device
controller max block size to be the same or higher than what was used for the
old tape.