Networker

Re: [Networker] How to trim the index directories

2010-06-04 12:15:17
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to trim the index directories
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 12:14:07 -0400
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
06/04/2010 12:00:48 PM:

> In regard to: Re: [Networker] How to trim the index directories,
MIchael...:

> > "STANLEY R. HORWITZ" <stan AT temple DOT edu> wrote on 06/04/2010 11:42:21
AM:

> > example,
> >>
> >> nsrim -l will delete the index entries for the OLDest saveset, as
> >> per its man page.
> >
> > Yes, I got that; it deletes the single oldest saveset.
>
> No, it doesn't!  It does exactly what the man page says it does, first
> sentence:
>
>         -l     Removes  the  oldest full save and all save sets
dependant
> on it
>                from the  online  index.
>

> As I said before, it removes the oldest backup *cycle*.  How
> many savesets are in a cycle is dependent on your environment.

Yes, I did read it. In my environment, all we do is fulls. either daily or
weekly. So (effectively, and for me) it deletes the oldest savesets.

> > What I was
> > wondering, if there was some way to more robustly delete a range of
> > savesets, ideally with a single command. And it doesn't sppear to be.
>
> There is, but I really recommend you just stick with nsrim.  You're just
> asking for trouble if you start manually purging individual saveset
> entries.

I don't need to (nsrim -l cleaned up enough space, and removing the index
folders of non-existent clients freed up even more). But what single
command does that sort of index cleanup?

I don't consider doing mminfo looks of savesets to purge to be a single
command; I was wondering if there was a "nsr-cleanup -s 'savetime>1 year'"
kind of command to delete savesets older than 1 year. I wouldn't want to
go manually purging savesets willy-nilly, unless there was absolutely no
other option. :-)