Networker

Re: [Networker] How to trim the index directories

2010-06-04 11:14:57
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to trim the index directories
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 11:13:27 -0400
"STANLEY R. HORWITZ" <stan AT temple DOT edu> wrote on 06/04/2010 10:58:38 AM:

> On 06 4, 2010, at 10:52 AM, MIchael Leone wrote:
>
> > I know I used to know this, but I seem to be drawing a blank now. I'm
> > running out of room on my NW server, and it's due to the index
directories
> > taking most of the room. I realize that's because I probably have a
very
> > long retention on some of my clients.
> >
> > Anyway, how can I trim down the size of these folders? I would need to

> > expunge some retained history, I think. But I don't know what to do.
> >
> > Sorry for the silly questions.
>
> nsrim -l will expunge the latest entries for a given client. See the
> nsrim man page for details.

Thanks; I knew I remembered something like this. The Command Reference
states "Removes the oldest full save and all save sets dependant on it
from the online
index. Browse and retention policies are ignored". So ... how do I know
what are the "oldest"? Does that mean it keeps only yesterday's backup,
and throws everything else away? Or does it mean it throws away the 12
oldest savesets (as an example)?

The description shows like the reverse of what you say - sounds like it
doesn't expunge the latest (i.e., newest) savesets, but the oldest. Which
is fine, and what I want, but I'd like to be able to tell it to expunge
anything older than a specified time (for instance, keep one year's worth,
and dump the rest).

Can you do a "nsrim -l -n", to show you what it would be expunging?