Networker

Re: [Networker] How to change a clientid?

2010-06-03 11:56:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to change a clientid?
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 11:51:04 -0400
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
06/03/2010 10:26:48 AM:

> Of course there is no way. The clientid is the way Networker identify
the
> client, not by its fqdn or anything else. But when you create a new
client,
> you can edit the clientid and put the one you want.

But how can I have the new client have the same name as the old client,
but with the new clientID? I tried deleting the current client, and then
re-creating with the same name, but the new clientID. And it wouldn't let
me, telling me that I needed to either enter the old clientID, or rename
the current client. How do you rename a client? I don't find that option
anywhere.

> This is described in the
> disaster recovery procedure for the networker server. There is also a
> procedure to import data from another networker server. I would advice
> create a ghost client for recovery purpose .

That's exactly what I want - a ghost client that has the clientID that is
on the tape, with the same name as the client on the tape. That's where my
problem is coming from - how to have the same name as before? I suppose if
I had to, I could create a new client name of "servername-remote" or
something, with the clientID from tape.

If I do that, what do I do when I runner scanner, to populate the media
database? Since the clientID on tape will match the clientID of my new
"ghost client", will it matter that the client name on tape does not match
the client name on the Networker server? Or, as long as the clientIDs
match, the info then goes into the client name on the Networker server,
regardless of the name mis-match? And I can then browse/recover/etc, using
the new client name?

> Kind regards

la
> part de MIchael Leone
> Envoyé : jeudi 3 juin 2010 16:08
> À : NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
> Objet : Re: [Networker] How to change a clientid?
>
> jason.faultless AT uk.bnpparibas DOT com wrote on 06/03/2010 09:52:23 AM:
>

> > Alas this cannot be done as the clientid is part of the written data
> > on
> tape.
>
> Yes, I know. I wanted to know if there was some way to change the client
ID