Networker

Re: [Networker] Windows 2008 Using NetWorker recovery

2010-06-02 09:28:18
Subject: Re: [Networker] Windows 2008 Using NetWorker recovery
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 09:26:48 -0400
On 6/2/10 9:13 AM, tcassid AT kimball DOT com wrote:
> Is there a NetWorker
> release that works with Windows 2008? Do we have to use Windows serverr
> back-up to recover Windows 2008? Has anybody attempted something similiar.

NetWorker 7.4.5 will work with Windows 2008 (R1).  It will *not* do DR
of Windows 2008.  EMC has stated that to perform DR of Windows 2008
systems, you have to use WSB because Microsoft has publicly stated that
overwriting the running OS is not supported (and that's the NetWorker DR
method -- install base system, restore backup over running system).

So, the direct answer is that no matter what version of NetWorker you
are running, you have to use WSB to be able to do DR.  Whether you tie
that into NetWorker or run it on the side is up to you.  EMC wants you
to tie it into NetWorker using savepnpc.