Networker

[Networker] Error code -1 and 255?

2010-05-27 11:49:44
Subject: [Networker] Error code -1 and 255?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 11:47:54 -0400
Hi,

I know this was discussed briefly on the board, but I didn't get much insight from it and wasn't able to turn up much.

I ran a manual backup using savegrp out of cron on a RH Linux system. This is the primary backup server (NW 7.5.1).

The group completed successfully, but there was one retry for several of the save sets in the group. I captured the output from the command to a log file and also redirected standard error to standard out as:

/usr/sbin/savegrp -l full group_name > /out/log 2>&1

Here's a sample entry from the log:

40473:savegrp: command ' save -s prmry_bkupsrvr -g group1 -LL -f - -m client1 -l full -q -W 78 -N /var/lib/dirsrv /var/lib/dirsrv' for client client1 exited with return code -1. 32496:savegrp: job (340068) host: client1 savepoint: /var/lib/dirsrv had ERROR indication(s) at completion. 64690:savegrp: savegrp:group1 * client1:/var/lib/dirsrv See the file /nsr/tmp/sg/group1/sso.client1.jNM6dY for output of save command.
7341:savegrp: client1:/var/lib/dirsrv failed.
7339:savegrp: client1:/var/lib/dirsrv will retry 1 more time(s)

I received one such entry for several (not all) of the save sets in the group. Each of the '/nsr/tmp/sg/group1/....' files has the same content and basically mentions an RPC error and something about savegrp command failed and returned error code 255. I can't see the file any longer, however, because it's since been overwritten by a newer one since the group has since run again as an auto-enabled backup.

I also received a similar output log when running another group (group2) from cron, but the error code for the '/nsr/tmp/sg/group2/...' files was '-1'; otherwise, the messages were the same.

Looking at the man page for 'savefs', it mentions 255 as an abnormal exit, and 0 as a normal exit. Apparently, not all NetWorker commands return just 0 or 1 as I would have thought. I don't know if 'savefs' gets used when running 'savegrp'? Regardless, it doesn't answer the question about the '-1' error code. I can't find anything useful in the NW documentation on these codes other than the error message itself for which the documentation is essentially useless - i.e., there was an error, the group failed, and that's about it! I would have to look at the man page for every possible NW command to see all the possible error codes. So, are these values possibly shell oriented instead wherein their value might depend on the shell that I'm running, or in this case, how the savegrp command is being invoked? In other words, do I need to subtract, say, 128 from the value, so 255 is really 255-128=127 and go figure out what 127 means or something like that?

Thanks.

George

--
George Sinclair