Networker

[Networker] Weird parallelism issue?

2010-05-23 19:01:50
Subject: [Networker] Weird parallelism issue?
From: "Brian O'Neill" <oneill AT OINC DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 18:58:36 -0400
I'm running 7.4.5 on a CentOS 4 box.

Normally my backups go to a VTL first, but the VTL is offline so I'm having the backups go direct to tape tonight. I only have one LTO-3 tape drive operating as well (usually it is used for cloning/staging, and the second drive started acting up today as well).

When the savegrp first runs, 4 backup streams write to the tape as expected for the device parallelism setting. But after the initial four are completed, it looks like only a single stream is permitted. I'm not sure what exactly is happening...it seems like each additional client that was waiting for a writable Default tape comes out of that state one at a time, with the mounted tape having to reverify its label each time, thus slowing things way down.

I checked other parallelism settings I could find. Server is set to 16, while savegrp is set to 0. Only one savegrp was running at the time.

Any ideas how I can speed this up?

-Brian