Networker

[Networker] Networker 7.4.4 trouble with restore

2010-05-18 04:56:03
Subject: [Networker] Networker 7.4.4 trouble with restore
From: PeterPGS <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 04:51:20 -0400
George Sinclair wrote:
> PeterPGS wrote:
>
> > Yes, and when I change it to date 1 everything looks ok and at date 2 I see
> > empty directories.
> > Maybe because the incremental backup didn't find any changes? But restore
> > should present all files all the time as if a full backup was made.
> > Or am I missing something here?
> >

> 1. Is that second date an older date? Is it beyond the browse policy for
> the client? I've seen similar behavior on Unix when I push the browse
> date back beyond what's still in the client's index.

Browse policy and retention policy are the same and both on quarter.
During the weekend a full backup is made, starting on Friday evening. From
Monday till Thursday incremental backups are made.

Sofar I don't see any logic on when I can see files or only directories when I
try to restore.
It only happens with Windows clients, not for Sun NAS shares.
Also it used to work correctly. Nothing changed really, only Windows updates
installed so that is why I am thinking of some patch causing this.

George Sinclair wrote:

> 2. Try running 'mminfo' on the backup server to determine the actual
> time of the affected save set (down to the seconds) and then try setting
> the browse time on the client to that exact date and time. I think by
> default, NW uses the current date/time, and when you change the date to
> an older value, it either uses the current time or 23:59:59?
>
> Also, obtain the 'nsavetime' value for the affected save set as:
>
> mminfo -s server -q 'savetime>date,name=saveset,client=clientname' -r
> "name,totalsize(4),savetime,nsavetime"
>
> Pick the appropriate nsavetime value from the list and then run:
>
> nsrinfo -s server -t nsavetime client
>
> and see if anything shows up and if so, what is reported. Does the
> command return an error like this????:
>
> scanning client `client' for savetime ...blah-blah-blah ... from the
> backup namespace on server servername
> 0 objects found
>
> If so, it's either beyond the browse time or nothing was backed up on
> that date/time for that saveset.

With the mminfo command I see for several shares different lines. One with just
the name of the share, then one with <1>share and then another with <2>share.
The first gives 0kb, the second 2000mb and the third again 0kb.
Checking with nsrinfo I see for the second one several files and when I set the
browse time before the third I see the files also.

So something happens that causes the backup to restart. And sometimes it works
and sometimes it doesn't.
Is there any way to find the reason for the restart?

George Sinclair wrote:

> 3. Are you by any chance using different time zones on the server versus
> the Windows client? Make sure the time zone on the Windows client for
> your login session (where you're actually running the recover tool)
> matches the time zone on the server for your login session there (or
> wherever the 'mminfo' command was run). Otherwise, you might be entering
> a time value that is too far ahead or behind.

No, the time zones are the same for server and client.

George Sinclair wrote:

> 4. Have you turned on any 'skip' directives? If so, you might need to
> specify an exact time, particularly if it's from an earlier time on the
> same day where it was previously not using a 'skip'.
>
> George

No, no directives specified.

Best regards,
 Peter