Networker

Re: [Networker] reporting on clone operations

2010-05-04 10:48:04
Subject: Re: [Networker] reporting on clone operations
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 10:38:01 -0400
Joe Wallace wrote:
good morning.

Do you collect reports about your cloning operations? I want to be able to
have a log of the cloning operations I trigger with nsrclone.

Can mminfo help me here?

Minimally, you should report the following attributes from mminfo for the affected save sets, or volumes, on both the originals and the clone copies:

ssflags
sumflags
clflags

See the man page for the possible values of these attributes. If anything is not what it should be, you could flag it and report/e-mail it? Be aware, however, that when a clone operation is in progress, you will see an 'a' or 'i' for aborted or incomplete - I think this shows up for the clone copy itself - but once the clone has completed, this value should clear out.

Also, it is possible that a given ssid could get marked as '(s)uspect' for the clflags value if the clone was not successful, but I've also seen cases wherein NW was unable to read the label during unload, etc., and marked all the save sets on the tape as suspect. In this case, it didn't matter that a clone operation wasn't even running at the time, nor did it matter that the affected volume was a clone or non-clone volume. This problem can occur completely independent of cloning, but you should be aware of it. I do have 'Verify label on unload' enabled for our tape library, so if I shut this off, I don't know that this would still happen in cases where NW could not read the label?

George

Wallace

George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210
- The preceding message is personal and does not reflect any official or unofficial position of the United States Department of Commerce -