Networker

Re: [Networker] Using LTO3 in LTO4 drives?

2010-05-01 08:20:06
Subject: Re: [Networker] Using LTO3 in LTO4 drives?
From: "Macina, Conrad" <Conrad.Macina AT PFIZER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 08:19:39 -0400
Hi, George,

Due to budget-related compromises, we have a data zone with mixed LTO-3
and LTO-2 drives, LTO-2 tapes and a single tape pool. I don't watch this
particular data zone closely enough that I'm able to swear we've had
data sets span from an LTO-2 tape to an LTO-3 or the reverse, but the
server has been in service for a year and a half without any
backup/restore issues (maintenance issues on ancient LTO-2 drives and an
antique jukebox are another matter). I would imagine that data set
spanning from one tape type to another is a rather common event in this
data zone and we haven't detected any problems.

Conrad