Networker

Re: [Networker] Using LTO3 in LTO4 drives?

2010-04-30 01:30:30
Subject: Re: [Networker] Using LTO3 in LTO4 drives?
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 08:29:57 +0300
I had an LTO-2 library with some 400 LTO-2 cartridges. When I replaced the library with an LTO-3 library (Overland NEO8000 with four HP LTO-3 drives), I simply moved all 400 cartridges to the new library and it just worked. Then, within a few years I replaced the LTO-2 media with LTO-3 media and all worked with no apparent problem. Recently, when the drives were upgraded to LTO-4, it just worked (I only had to remove the last LTO-2 cartridges that were still in). Now I have LTO-4 drives and most of the cartridges are still LTO-3. Naturally, I will start replacing the media with LTO-4 as the need arises.

George Sinclair wrote:
Is it a problem to recycle older LTO-3 media in LTO-4 drives and label these into the same tape pool? This is in an all LTO-4 drive tape library.

I've had no issues reading from LTO3 tapes in the LTO4 drives, and they are supposed to be backward write compatible (haven't tried that yet), but will NW span mixed tapes properly, assuming all drives are LTO4?

George

--

-- Yaron.