Networker

[Networker] Netware client - "No such file or directory" errors on backup

2010-04-28 10:26:04
Subject: [Networker] Netware client - "No such file or directory" errors on backup
From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 09:23:52 -0500
We have a few Netware 6.5 clients and one of them is suddenly returning
errors when backups start:

04/28/10 09:05:55 savegrp: client_3:probe unexpectedly exited.
* client_3:SY2: 3 retries attempted
* client_3:SY2: nsrexec: authtype
* client_3:SY2: No such file or directory
04/28/10 09:05:55 savegrp: client_3:probe will retry 2 more time(s)

...etc. *instantly* when the group starts. It runs through 5 retries (as
we're configured) and goes away.

>From the client side, we can connect and browse indexes, although we
didn't actually try to recover anything. This system had the latest 7.1
client I referenced in a recent post (yesterday), but strangely had no
issues with it. The Netware admin working on it put the previous client
back in place for consistency with the other systems and now all backup
attemps return the above error. Nothing at all has changed server-side.
The saveset volumes are explicitly specified (eg., SYS:, SY2:) just like
all the other Netware clients and have always worked in the past.

Anyone have any clue as to what we've missed in going from one client to
the other on the Netware box? What have we not put back?

All volumes are indeed mounted and currently in use by more than a few
users (this is a file / app / home dir server), so we can't do anything
interruptive. I remember seeing these kind of errors long ago on a
different Netware box but unfortunately my memory isn't that good.

Thanks!