Networker

Re: [Networker] How to force recovery from clones?

2010-04-27 16:33:35
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to force recovery from clones?
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 08:29:44 +1200
Hi George,

On 27/04/2010, at 06:11 , George Sinclair wrote:

>> If the clones are in the library and the originals out of the library,
>> NetWorker should automatically request the clones and work with them, as
>> they'll be "closer".
>> If neither the clones nor the originals are in the library, you can run the
>> command:
>> nsrmm -o offsite X
>
> Ah, never noticed that feature. Looks very handy. When was that added? I see
> it in 7.5, but not in 7.2.x, although 7.2.x did support the other '-o'
> options.

It was added in one of the service pack releases for 7.3. I can't recall
exactly which one, but if I recall correctly from your posts earlier this year
to the list, you jumped straight over it :-)

>> for any volume 'X'. This will flag it as offsite, which means that if there
>> is a saveset instance on that volume, and another instance of the saveset on
>> another volume that isn't marked as offsite, NetWorker will request that
>> volume instead of the 'offsite' one. Note that 'nsrmm -o offsite' is very
>> different from just setting a location flag of 'offsite'.
>
> Yes, I see that now. Is there a way that I can query volumes with this value
> set to 'offsite' or 'notoffsite'? I checked the man page for mminfo, and the
> closest I can see is 'location', but as you said, that's something else
> entirely.

Regrettably, no. I logged an RFE about this as soon as I discovered the offsite
flag, but it hasn't been actioned as yet. The only 'workaround' I tend to
suggest is that you say, write a script that sets the offsite flag and sets an
offsite location, then query by location. Both the flag and the location are
reset once it's loaded and inventoried into a library anyway (since the
location field becomes the library name).

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise