Networker

Re: [Networker] Cloning Auth Failures in 7.4.4?

2010-04-27 01:09:57
Subject: Re: [Networker] Cloning Auth Failures in 7.4.4?
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 08:07:32 +0300
With Solaris, nscd can also be the source of some problems. You might want to disable it or just disable the caching of hosts inn nscd.conf.

tkimball wrote:
We only use /etc/hosts files for production connections & backup (including all
PC servers covered by backup).

So unfortunately that's not the case in our environment.

--TSK

Note - DNS is enabled on our 'Dev' servers, but we still have the backup
systems in /etc/hosts (and nsswitch file says to use hosts first).

stes wrote:
tkimball
Networker (EBS) 7.4.4 Server/SN.  Solaris 10 Sparc.

I'm occasionally getting this kind of error on some source tapes
during cloning, preventing anything on the that tape from being copied:

-----
39077:nsrclone: error, saveset with ssid <RANDOM_SSID> could not be
retrieved from the Media database. The error is 'authentication type 0
not adequate'

We saw the same errors in 7.5.1 (Sun version) and it turns out it's a
known issue (LGTsc24186) that was fixed in 7.5.1.6.
I've seen this also on Windows on 7.3.3 and 7.4.4.

Upgrading from 7.3.3 to 7.3.4 helped in the 7.3.3 case.

In the 7.4.4 case disabling DNS and using /etc/HOSTS only helped.

There is a bulletin called ESG110816 that says:

Error: authentication type 0 not adequate

Fix for LGTsc32409 does not resolve the issue.

Re-creating the jukebox sometimes helps, but not all the time.

Cause

This is a known issue in version 7.3.4 and some 7.4.x versions.

Personally I've felt that 7.3.4 fixed the issue, and that it was present in
7.3.3 and 7.3.1 and 7.3.2 (and 7.4.4).

However the experience with 7.4.4 namely that by disabling DNS altogether it
went away, is interesting of course as a way to fix it without upgrading or
downgrading.

|This was sent by t.s.kimball AT gmail DOT com via Backup Central.

-- Yaron.