Networker

Re: [Networker] Setup Networker for DR test

2010-04-16 13:22:30
Subject: Re: [Networker] Setup Networker for DR test
From: "Coty, Edward" <Edward.Coty AT AIG DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 13:19:42 -0400
Well in a true DR you are not scanning in any tapes. You need to have the
following:

1) Bootstrap report listing bootstraps and tapes.
2) Networker server version running at original site as well as server name
exactly as it appeared in production.
3) Build DR server with same name. Install same networker version.
4) Same tape device as original. If LTOIII you can read on LTOIV.
5) Load the tape with bootstrap and run mmrecov. IT will prompt you for
everything you need.
6) once done shutdown networker and save /nsr/res to /nsr/res.orig. Rename
/nsr/res.R to /nsr/res.
7) restart networker. Run nsrck -L6 on backup server. You will need to delete
the original library and rebuild for the one you are using.
8) run nsrck -L7 to recover all client file indexes. Hopefully they are either
all on the same tape or you have a tape library with all tape loaded.

What you are doing is just scanning in all tapes to be recoverd. Best way to
get the original client FQDN is run scanner -m devicename. This should return
the pool and client names. Kill scanner and add in the client name and pool.
Then run scanner -I devicename. After which you should be able to do a
browsable recover from the client that was on the tape for the data on the
tape.

EDWARD COTY
LEAD STORAGE ENGINEER, LCNA, NACP
WORK - 973-533-2098