Networker

Re: [Networker] Novell(OES LINUX) with Networker

2010-04-15 02:24:34
Subject: Re: [Networker] Novell(OES LINUX) with Networker
From: jee <jee AT ERESMAS DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 07:21:58 +0100
This is a known issue with backups of edirectory but not a networker problem.
There was a product alert (documentation) on this 2-3 years ago.

Please check the manuals (release notes 7.4.2+ most likely) it is documented
there.

Basically this is the issue:
Networker supports the NSS file sytem and can backup files residing in it.
However metadata has to be "pre-backed up"  using the edirectory tools for
that.

The metadata has to be backed up along with the filsystem data and recovered
together and apply it to the recovered files.

If the metadata had not been  backed up then it cannot be recovered and it is,
therefore, lost.

(not sure whether this may affect the timestamps you mention, but that could
be a different issue that would need a different e-mail thread...)

I hope this is is clear now.
jee