Networker

[Networker] scanner -i and evaporating indexes - NSR 7.5.1

2010-04-06 14:24:43
Subject: [Networker] scanner -i and evaporating indexes - NSR 7.5.1
From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks AT VT DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 14:21:26 -0400
About 3 years ago, we had an unfortunate incident on campus, and as part of
our response, we flagged all the backup tapes we had at the time as 'manual
recycle' because we *knew* there would be lawsuits and subpoenas.  Well,
a subpoena has arrived.

We still have the tapes, and I need to do a whole bunch of restores (In this
case, we're talking 57 LTOs in a pool that may or may not have respondent data.
They want one specific directory, every snapshot we have over a span of
months).

I start off with the tapes, and start working my way through them, in
order (though I've been doing 2 and 3 sets of 'fulls' at a time - one of
the nice things of an SL8500).

/usr/sbin/nsr/scanner -i -c myserver.cc.vt.edu -N /tree/path/grpD -t "LTO
Ultrium-2" -v -z /dev/rmt/17cbn

(-c and -N obfuscated).

After 8 or 10 of these, I had the first 4 or 5 weeks of indexes rebuilt
and visible in the GUI under Media/indexes/<client>/"show save sets", and
the co-worker who actually has to do the restores reports a trial restore
of another directory works fine.

I come back the next morning, and the indexes I just spent all day building
with 'scanner -i' are *gone*.  Bang my head against the wall, and realize
that the client in question has both browse and retention set to 2 months
(our standard config).  So obviously overnight it looked and saw a 3 year old
index and purged it.  I change the client to browse and retention "Decade",
and spend yesterday and this morning re-scanning the tapes I already did.

And around 10AM, the indexes I had finished re-doing went poof *again*.

What am I missing here?  How do I make those indexes *stay put* (ideally
until I manually nuke them with 'nsrim -l'?