Networker

[Networker] Networker VCB vs filelevel

2010-04-06 04:15:54
Subject: [Networker] Networker VCB vs filelevel
From: kel AT STERIA DOT DK
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 10:14:18 +0200
Hi there

Being alone with backups, I could use some sparring on the subject of
image backups with networker or just normal filelevels.

Seems to me the VCB is redundant, save for the offload part, if you do a
normal file backup includning VSS, you could just deploy a new virtual
machine and restore everything back into that, instead of doing the image
backup and then do the file restore.
Applications like SQL exchange notes etc, will still be restored with the
networker user module..

But am I missing something here ?
We have done serveral full restores, with the normal networker user
interface and it works fine, we rolled back a service pack install, so as
far as I can see its a proven way to do it.
The VCB method, the new one in 7.6 is not stable yet, and while doing a
restore of a full machine it crashed. So is VCB really worth the extra
setup complexity ?

I realise the offload aspect is worth considering too, but is it really
that bad ?

Any thoughts or experiences on this ? Am I missing something that makes
VCBs worth the effort ?

Med venlig hilsen / Regards
Kenneth Larsen
System Konsulent

Steria A/S
Tonsbakken 16-18
2740 Skovlunde
Mobile: +45 2630 6261
email: kel AT steria DOT dk
www.steria.dk

Med en omsætning på DKK 14 mia. og 19.000 ansatte er Steria blandt de ti
førende it-serviceleverandører i Europa. Gruppen, som er repræsenteret i 16
lande, herunder i Danmark med ca. 170 medarbejdere, leverer komplette løsninger
inden for følgende fokusområder: Rådgivning, systemintegration og it-drift. Det
betyder, at Steria bistår med alt fra forretnings- og it-rådgivning til
projektledelse, systemudvikling og infrastrukturleverancer til drift, hosting
og vedligehold. Yderligere oplysninger kan læses på www.steria.dk og
www.steria.com.

This email originates from Steria A/S, Tonsbakken 16-18, DK-2740 Skovlunde -
www.steria.dk.
This email and any attachments may contain confidential/intellectual
property/copyright information and is only for the use of the addressee(s). You
are prohibited from copying, forwarding, disclosing, saving or otherwise using
it in any way if you are not the addressee(s) or responsible for delivery. If
you receive this email by mistake, please advise the sender and cancel it
immediately. Steria may monitor the content of emails within its network to
ensure compliance with its policies and procedures. Any email is susceptible to
alteration and its integrity cannot be assured. Steria shall not be liable if
the message is altered, modified, falsified, or even edited.