Networker

[Networker] Directive to exclude a single directory

2010-03-31 10:13:51
Subject: [Networker] Directive to exclude a single directory
From: adamglass <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 10:10:44 -0400
Hi Tim,

Very useful information, thanks.  I've been working with Unix/Linux for a long
time, but Networker is new territory for me.  Sometimes an article can
communicate different things to newbies vs. those who have background knowledge
about the topic, and that may be what happened here.

> My advice: try installing the latest version of the client software. It
> will probably do the right thing for your Solaris clients, with no
> directive tweaking needed.

I'm going to try that out with one client.  It was running the 7.4 client
software and now is upgraded to 7.5 (we are not running 7.6 yet).  Hopefully
when the job runs overnight we will see better results.

> Quote:
> The second point above is from here...
>
> http://nsrd.info/blog/2009/09/03/quibbles-directive-management/
>
> AFAICT, nowhere in that post does Preston say anything like what you've
> identified as #2. Preston is saying that there's no facility in NetWorker
> to include one directive inside of another. He doesn't specifically say
> it in his blog post, but his focus appears to be exclusively on "server
> side directives".

The part of Preston's post that made me think this is:

"Now, it could be that for every Unix system, you also want to include Unix
Standard Directives. Currently the only way to do this is to create a new
directive where you?ve copied and pasted in all the Unix Standard Directives
then added in your above criteria."

>From my newbie perspective, that says the standard directives would be
>overridden (though I shouldn't have specified client side).  I'm glad to hear
>that is not the case.

If the upgraded client mentioned above still tries to back up /system tonight,
I will need to tell Networker to skip it with directives.  That is where the
client side vs. server side question comes up.  Based on your comments, it is
better to add skip statements to the Unix Standard Directives on the server (or
a copy of them), and not use .nsr files on the client.  Is that correct?

Thanks for the help!

Adam Glass
Nova Southeastern University