Networker

[Networker] Directive to exclude a single directory

2010-03-30 16:19:03
Subject: [Networker] Directive to exclude a single directory
From: adamglass <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 16:16:21 -0400
> The same directive as... ? People that see this post via a mailing list,
> which is quite a lot of us, can't see any thread history that you don't
> specifically quote in your post, so we don't know what you're referring
> to.

Sorry about that.  I view e-mails in conversation threads with Thunderbird or
Mac Mail, so that didn't occur to me.  The topic is excluding specific
directories with directives in .nsr files.  In my case it's /system/object and
/system/contract on Solaris machines.

Hm, now we get into 2-level quotes ...

> Where did you read the two issues that you're quoting? I would really
> like to take a look at the source, because I believe the first issue
> is completely not true, and the second one is mostly incorrect as well.
>
> Quote:
> 1. Directives in .nsr files cannot be used when the saveset is "all" .
> If .nsr files are to be used, it is necessary to specify individual
> savesets instead of "all"
>
> 2. Directives in .nsr files override the Unix Standard Directives. If
> .nsr files are to be used, it is necessary to cut-and-paste the Unix
> Standard Directives into an .nsr file

It turns out I missed a small but important detail with regard to item 1: It is
only true on Windows according to the source, which is here...

http://nsrd.info/blog/2009/10/20/quibbles-%E2%80%93%C2%A0directive-management-redux/

The second point above is from here...

http://nsrd.info/blog/2009/09/03/quibbles-directive-management/

Thank you for the location of the directives.  They were hiding in plain sight.
 It looks like there is a simple solution, which is to make a copy of the Unix
Standard Directives in the NSR GUI, add my skip directories to the copy, and
then just tell each Solaris client to use the copy instead of the standard one.
 No .nsr files needed in client machines.  Does that make sense?

Thank you,
Adam Glass