Networker

Re: [Networker] Question on tape rewinding???

2010-03-25 17:20:22
Subject: Re: [Networker] Question on tape rewinding???
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 08:18:26 +1100
George,

On 26/03/2010, at 04:33 , George Sinclair wrote:

> Kind of a dumb question here ...
>
> 1. I notice that when I go to clone a save set that the source tape will
> forward a certain number of files (e.g. 173) and then read, with the target
> tape moving forward and then writing - all well and fine.
>
> 2. But if I then clone another save set on the same source tape, and this is
> just a few file beyond the previous one (e.g. 177), it again forwards that
> number of files (in this case 177). It appears that after each clone, the
> source tape rewinds??
>
> Is this correct behavior on non-rewind devices? Perhaps, the non-rewind only
> applies when writing data and not reading data?
>
> 3. I then run another clone wherein I give it a list of all the ssids on the
> source tape, and it simply reads solid all the way through and does not
> mention anything about forwarding or rewinding. It just reads uninterrupted.
> Does this make sense?

NetWorker rewinds the tape to make sure that it's writing to the correct tape;
I also believe part of the other purpose is that when it's finished writing it
will write a double-EOF to signify current end of tape. When it's time to start
writing again, it goes back and writes over the _second_ end of tape so that
there's just a plain EOF marker between the two savesets. That behaviour was
explained to me over a decade ago though so apply standard caveats to it :-)

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise