Networker

Re: [Networker] Recovering files from Windows to Unix?

2010-03-25 16:31:10
Subject: Re: [Networker] Recovering files from Windows to Unix?
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 15:28:12 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Recovering  files from Windows to Unix?, jee...:

It might work but I would not rely on unsupported procedures.

It generally does work, but you're absolutely right that it's best not
to rely on something that's unsupported.

I've done cross-flavor recoveries between various types of UNIX and Linux
systems many times over the years, including things like Tru64 to Linux
and Solaris to Linux.  I've never had an issue getting the data (file
contents) back.  There are sometimes issues with metadata (permissions or
timestamps), especially for any type of ACL or metadata that is platform
specific.

Tim
edu