Networker

[Networker] Question on tape rewinding???

2010-03-25 13:36:05
Subject: [Networker] Question on tape rewinding???
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 13:33:41 -0400
Kind of a dumb question here ...

1. I notice that when I go to clone a save set that the source tape will forward a certain number of files (e.g. 173) and then read, with the target tape moving forward and then writing - all well and fine.

2. But if I then clone another save set on the same source tape, and this is just a few file beyond the previous one (e.g. 177), it again forwards that number of files (in this case 177). It appears that after each clone, the source tape rewinds??

Is this correct behavior on non-rewind devices? Perhaps, the non-rewind only applies when writing data and not reading data?

3. I then run another clone wherein I give it a list of all the ssids on the source tape, and it simply reads solid all the way through and does not mention anything about forwarding or rewinding. It just reads uninterrupted. Does this make sense?

George

--
George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210