Networker

Re: [Networker] client licenses for vmware virtual machines

2010-03-23 16:05:59
Subject: Re: [Networker] client licenses for vmware virtual machines
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 16:03:46 -0400
"James Pratt" <jpratt AT norwich DOT edu> wrote on 03/23/2010 03:03:38 PM:

> >> So ... if I get 10 Virtual Edition Client licenses for my 10 ESX
servers,
> >> I do *not* need the 85 NW client licenses that are currently
installed in
> >> the VMs on those 10 servers?
>
> Yes, once you change the existing client configs to "Virtual", and
> probably run a backup or two... (?)

Hmmmm ....

> >> And I'd still be able to recover a specific
> >> file (or files) in one of the VMs, by browsing to it, as I can now?
>
> Sorry, but I don't follow you - you may be able to use the nw
> integration with vcenter, but I'm not sure. Personally, I just
> recover a full VCB image, bring it up on a test network and then
> grab whatever files I neeed restored from it... extra steps, but
> simple enough.

Isn't a full VCB image a full backup of the ESX server *and* all the VMs
currently running on it?

If so, that's a problem. I don't want to restore an entire VCB image of
one of my ESX hosts, with has 8 VMs, each of which has 50G disk space
assigned to it, just to later extract out a file or two in just one of the
VMs.

I have a feeling that I'm mis-understanding how that works. Or you're
mis-understanding what I'm asking ...

What I was asking: if SERV001 is a VM; can I browse through the backups of
SERV001 using the GUI; choose the 2 or 3 files I want; and recover just
those? Exactly as I would do with a physical machine.  I don't want to
have to restore a backup of *all* the VMs that were running on that ESX
hosts to somewhere else, and then dig out just those 2 or 3 files out of
the hundreds of gigs worth of stuff I just restored.

> >> And I
> >> would just have to backup all 10 ESX servers completely, rather than
have
> >> 85 individual clients configured and listed as part of various backup
> >> jobs?
> >>

> No - you do not backup the ESX hosts - you still need to have all
> your clients configured in nw as you do now , except as "Virtual
> client"s instead = when it uses the "Virtual client" licence, it
> frees up the old, normal nw license.

OK, I see I was mis-understanding before ...

> As an example, we had about 50 normal cals - we soon had vm sprawl,
> so instead of buying more regular cals, we purchased enough VCALS to
> cover every ESX host in our cluster - now, we have effectively freed
> up 40 or so of the "Normal NW" licenses for physical machines, or
> vms' that we wish to continue to run the "All" saveset on, and are
> backing up about 60-80 servers , including vms' total...

I have like 80 VMs now, and 90 licenses (plus storage nodes and cluster
clients). If I can use 10 Virtual Client Licenses to back up all 80 of
those VMs, that will free up 70 licenses for physical machines. Yes?

I can then make sure I leave those licenses for the physical hosts. We
don't like to run SQL as a VM, so I have a number of SQL servers
(including clustered servers).