Networker

[Networker] Backup next step: dedup or BMR, or both?

2010-03-19 11:34:24
Subject: [Networker] Backup next step: dedup or BMR, or both?
From: tbirkenbach <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 09:52:27 -0400
Recently I received the "dog and pony" show from EMC on their Data Domain and
Avamar products, which they suggest is the "next step" in progressing my
NetWorker backup solution.  I agree with them in that dedup and/or bare metal
recovery (BMR) would be an enhancement to a backup solution.  It got me to
thinking...

What do you, as my fellow backup admins, feel is a higher priority, dedup or
BMR?

Personally, I feel that BMR would be the service that I, as a systems admin,
would want from a backup solution.  I realize that some products, such as EMC's
Avamar product, can do both BMR and dedup; so you CAN have your cake and eat it
too, but it comes with the EMC sticker shock too...

Just curious as to what others have done or are doing in progressing their
backup solutions.  Any shared insight is greatly appreciated.