Networker

Re: [Networker] Q: Actual recover space size?

2010-03-18 16:56:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] Q: Actual recover space size?
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 20:54:39 +0000
On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 01:18:33PM -0500, Len Philpot wrote:
> I know mminfo has the sumsize and totalsize, etc., fields, but AFAIK
> that's apparently size-on-backup-media, not original
> 'size-on-client-disk', and given compression it can vary
> significantly.

It's size-of-stream-that-came-from-client.

So compression after the server receives the stream doesn't affect it.
Compression on the client would.  Can I assume you're using client
compression directives?

> Does anyone know of a way to determine the actual space requirements for a
> given saveset (short of going host to host and looking at the current
> actual size, which might not be the same, anyway)? Currently this is on a
> 7.2 system (that will hopefully be going to 7.5x before too many
> moons!

No, because I don't think the server is told the actual size (prior to
client compression).

I think we had a thread about this just last month or so.

--
Darren