Networker

Re: [Networker] ZFS deduplication.

2010-03-18 15:34:49
Subject: Re: [Networker] ZFS deduplication.
From: Attila Mester <Attila.Mester AT SUN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 20:32:42 +0100
I have recently made similar tests to see what dedup ratios I can get when writing to dedup enabled ZFS filesystems as a B2D target. I have discovered the same behavior, e.g. NetWorker saveset streams do not really get deduplicated. Changing the underlying ZFS dedup blocksize doesn't have any positiv effect, even if I go down to 8k blocksize. The only explanation I can think of is, as Yaron already pointed out, block boundaries are aligned differently because of the different meta-data which is part of the savesets. It seems, at current point of the code implementation the dedup can not deal with different block bounderies and as such, not effectively usable for deduplicating such streams. BTW I experienced the same thing when using NetBackup as the backup application.

regards  -attila

Attila Mester                           5 Digit Sun internal: x62534
Data Protection Architect                  Tel: (+49 89) 46 008 2534
Sun Microsystems GmbH                      Fax: (+49 89) 46 008 2583
Sonnenallee 1                                Mobil: +49 172 812 5947
85551 Heimstetten / Germany              mail: attila.mester AT sun DOT com

Terry Lemons schrieb:
Hi Yaron

I know that NetWorker has a default block size for each of its output devices.
This default block size can be overridden; details on this are in the NetWorker
Administration Guide.

Does ZFS have a specific block size that it deduplicates?  If so, could it be
that the NetWorker default block size for the AFTD device is not the same as,
or a multiple of, the ZFS default block size?

tl