Networker

Re: [Networker] Transfer NW server to an existing client

2010-03-17 09:24:24
Subject: Re: [Networker] Transfer NW server to an existing client
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 09:21:41 -0400
So here's what EMC told me:

> Migration Steps
> 1> take a copy of mm, res and index from BACK001 and copy on some
locations on OTHER.
> 2> Shutdown BACK001
> 3> ensure That host file of OTHER does not have entries for both BACK001
and OTHER
> 4> Change the system name of OTHER to "BACK001" .
> 5> Install networker software
> 6> stop networker services
> 7> Now replace mm, res and index folder from backup of  BACK001
> 8> start networker ("nsrexecd; nsrd")
> 9> deleted old library and device configuration and create new library
> 10> did a test recovery of BACK001
> 11>Stop networker services
> 12> rename the hostname back to OTHER
> 13> Now run a test recovery of OTHER.
> 14> Call licensing team and get you new hostid register for all your
licenses.

Now, in my case, since these machines are all Windows, I will have to stop
NW and rename BACK001 to something else, at step 2.
And a similar reboot, at step 12.

But this should avoid an hours-long mmrecov, and it means that OTHER
should only be unavailable for a short amount of time, while it is
temporarily named BACK001 (OTHER is a file server, and for our Executive
department, who seem to like to work on Sat ...).

I've been looking over this, and it seems that it should work. The only
problems that I foresee is waiting for the name change to propogate from
DNS and Active Directory, to the rest of the domain. And then the same for
the rename back.

Anyone see anything I (or EMC) has missed?

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM

EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
03/16/2010 09:09:31 AM:

> I have a NW 7.4.5 server, running on BACK001; it has a client named
OTHER.